This is part of the “Blog Your Dash” series that I have been writing. Below is a list of the other blogs in the series:
- Blog Your Dash – My School Years
- What happened the year you were born? – Blog Your Dash Part II
- BLOG YOUR DASH – PART III THE ARMY YEARS
- WHAT HAPPENED THE YEAR YOU GRADUATED FROM HIGH SCHOOL? – BLOG YOUR DASH PART IV
If you want to know what happened the year you were born, go to Brainy History and select your birth year.
Here is a short list of the events that happened the year I was born:
- 4 Puerto Ricans open fire in U.S. House of Representatives injuring 5 representatives
- TV Dinner was 1st put on sale by Swanson and Sons
- Robert Oppenheimer accused of being a communist
- School desegregation law, Brown vs. Board of education
- President Eisenhower put forward a plan for an interstate highway system
- Air Force One, 1st U.S. Presidential airplane, christened
- Ellis Island, immigration station in New York Harbor, closed
- Nobel prize for literature awarded to Ernest Hemingway
Being Puerto Rican, the event that clearly sticks out is the assault on the house of representatives. The plan was, at the same time the assault was taking place on the house of representatives, other members of the group would assault Puerto Rico’s governor mansion and take it over. Unfortunately, the Puerto Rico part of the plan never came to fruition because one of the members ran a red light.
As cliché as it sounds – it is very much true! The members of the group that were going to do the assault in Puerto Rico were moving the weapons by car and it ran a red light. The police stopped them and, upon inspecting the car, found the stash of weapons. Although Puerto Rico is a territory of the United states and anyone born there is a U.S. citizen, this one event threw the local government into a panic and they proceeded to implement one of the strictest (if not the strictest) gun control laws in the nation. To this day, if you want to legally purchase a handgun in Puerto Rico, it requires a license that can take up to three years to obtain. If you want to be able to carry the gun, that is another license that can take another three years to get.
I suppose that a lot of people would have found the decision on ‘Brown vs Board of Education’ a more memorable event but, we never had segregation in Puerto Rico so this just was not an issue for us. The races had been mixing in Latin America since the arrival of the Spaniards 500 years before so, by the year I was born, and to this day, you literally cannot tell what is the race of a Puerto Rican.